Monday, October 13, 2008

Race for the Cure - 10/4/08

Today I ran the race for the Cure with my friend who is a survivor. She started training for this race a few months ago and before she knew it, she was standing at the starting line.

This race, for me, is a special race. I love the cause. I have had so many friends and family members touched by breast cancer. My great aunt died when I was a young child...she was the age I am now as I write this report...so this race is for her. My Aunt Birdie just finished this battle...she is a survivor...this race is for her. My Mother-in-law, Peggy survived, this race is for her. My Sister-in-law, Tami, survived, this race is for her. My BFF, Jill, who I set with during all her chemo treatments survived...so this race is for her. And all the many women who have battled this cancer...this race is for you.
My mother, Teresa, who did not have breast cancer, but a different kind...I run every race for her. When it gets tough on the race course of life, I remember her courage and will to live. I remember her faith in God never wavering. I hope to be half as strong as her in life.

This is also the race that launched my running story in 2001. I ran this race as my very 1st race. I remember passing the finish line at 33 minutes and thinking how far I had gone. I was very proud. Looking back I see how this race changed my life.

As I stand in the darkness, I am excited for my friend who will finish this race....but 1st I have to wake up.
Jessi (in her pink survivor's shirt) and her sisters pin pink pieces of paper on their backs to celebrate the people in their lives who have beaten breast cancer.
Here is the crew who ran today...Ashley, Candace, Stephenie, Kerin, Jessi, Me. We stand at the starting line waiting for the race to begin. As you can see, I am the only one with a water belt. Normally I do not wear a belt during a 5k...however, today, after the race, I will be running back to my car. It is almost 2 miles away....so I am carrying my phone and keys with me.
The girls showing off their backs!
Ashley and Candace chill'n out ready to run.
Around mile 1ish....Jessi and Stephenie are still looking good.
Mile 2...Strike a pose!
Jessi heading for the finish...The end is in view so we really pick up the pace.
But have to stop to get a pic of mile 3...Hey, it's all about the pictures! LOL!
Kerin finishing strong!
Stephenie finishing strong!
After the finish, Kerin takes a break...
Jessi gets 1 last picture of all "DA Girls". Wonderful race and wonderful friends. What more could you ask for.

No comments: