Sunday, October 5, 2008

Goofy 1/2 - 1/7/2006

1/7/06 - 3:00am comes very early. Especially when you got to bed around 11:00pm. Matt and I stumble out of bed and start the process of getting ready to run the WDW 1/2 marathon. We are greeted by Scotty who is running with us. Chip, number, pants, ect... I think I have everything. Whose idea was this anyway? Oh, it was mine. It seemed like such a good idea 6 months ago when I signed up for it.
Oh, it is cold outside! Around 30 something. Surely it will get warmer (it doesn't). We run to the monorail and climb aboard. I am nervous because we are supposed to be in the running area by 4am and it is already 4:10. Matt assures me that everything will be OK...and it is. We stand around in the starting area about 30 min with about 10,000 friends..trying to stay warm...

We are off at 6:00 am. We warm up fast. Ron is sweet enough to take my jacket. He also takes Bree's. The first few miles are a blur. Running and talking. Bree and I run together, while Ron Scotty, and Matt stay together. We are going at a slower pace than I am used to, but I know we have the Marathon ahead of us tomorrow.

As daylight breaks, we head into the Magic Kingdom. The Christmas decorations are still up. Running down Main street is wonderful! Matt takes at least 5 million pictures of the castle. Well, around 5. I included only 1.


We stop to take pictures of Mr. Incredible.

And then we all run through the castle!


Matt and Scotty stop to pose for a picture and before we leave Magic Kingdom, Scotty shows his serious side by the train.


Now we are on the open road. We pass huge hotels, bands, cheerleaders, and several brides and grooms.
Matt and Scotty slow down because Matt's knee is starting to bother him. Bree, Ron, and I run on. Suddenly we hear someone calling Bree's name. It is Melissa (a WISH friend). This brightens up the day. We run the rest of the way in with her.
As we round the corner, around mile 13, we hear a gospel choir. We scream, yell, and go through the finish line! Before the finish line, I see Lisa, Scotty's wife, scream teaming for us. Even though Matt's knee is hurting, he and Scotty come in right behind us. Or time is around 2:30. We get the Donald medal and cheese for the camera.
Not my best time, but one of the most fun. And I know tomorrow looms 26.2 miles. We are only 1/3 of the way through the Goofy!
Matt, Scotty, and I meet up with Lisa to go back to our room and rest.

No comments: